Hypothyroidism is a disorder that affects the functioning of the thyroid gland and that we can help regulate if we regularly consume some foods.
Discover in this article which are the 10 most suitable foods to improve hypothyroidism in a natural way.
What is hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is a disease that affects more women than men, and is characterized by a decrease in the function of the thyroid gland , located in the front of the neck.
This supposes a decrease in the secretion of thyroid hormones and causes very specific symptoms:
- Decrease in basal metabolism, which is responsible for energy expenditure.
- Tiredness and exhaustion.
- Sensitivity to cold.
- Ease to gain weight and much difficulty to lose it. Fat can accumulate in the jowls, in the waist and in the thighs.
- Menstrual disorders
- Grave voice and hoarseness.
- Sleep disorders.
- Dry skin and hair.
- Fluid retention.
As a curiosity, there is a surprising symptom to detect a predisposition to suffer hypothyroidism.
Some people may have a lack of hair on the outside of the eyebrows . This may indicate a predisposition or initial stage of this disorder.
Can it be cured with food?
It can not be said that food can cure hypothyroidism.
However, it can be assured that a healthy and specific diet can prevent this disorder, as well as reduce its symptoms when we already have it.
It can help us to the point of not having to take medication, especially if we start in the initial stages.
1. Coconut oil
Extra virgin coconut oil is a saturated fat rich in medium chain triglycerides.
- These nutrients have the power to increase metabolism and facilitate , which are two of the main problems of those who suffer hypothyroidism.
- We can take two tablespoons (30 grams) every day, one in the morning on an empty stomach and another at night before going to bed.
Many cases of hypothyroidism are due to a lack of iodine, so consuming foods rich in this mineral can help us to be better.
- The are rich in iodine, especially bladderwrack.
- It is essential to consult with our doctor before starting to consume them so as not to exceed the consumption of iodine.
3. Cayenne pepper
Cayenne pepper is an excellent natural activator of metabolism, which also increases our body temperature.
- It can also help us relieve other symptoms such as constipation and joint pain.
- We must add cayenne pepper to our diet in a very progressive way so that it does not cause digestive disorders.
- This root also increases the temperature of the body, so it is very useful for frioleras people.
5. Sea water
Seawater is, like algae or sea salt, a food rich in minerals and trace elements. This way, not only will it give us iodine, but it will act as an excellent mineral supplement.
- In addition, seawater does not cause the retention of liquids such as salt.
Pistachio is one of the most recommended nuts to combat hypothyroidism due to its high content of minerals, especially iodine.
Fennel acts at the level of hormonal regulator, since it stimulates the production of hormones . We can take it directly or in medicinal infusion.
- We can take it to seasons, taking breaks, in infusion or as a nutritional supplement.
The thyroid is responsible for producing calcitonin, a hormone that allows us to assimilate calcium. For this reason, people with hypothyroidism may suffer from deficiencies of this mineral and disorders such as osteoporosis.
Main image courtesy of © wikiHow.com