Waxing your wood floor is one of the most time-consuming tasks in the home; However, today you can access several methods to make it bright without much difficulty.
If you spend too much time without good maintenance, you can notice that, little by little, it loses its characteristic touch and elegance, since the dirt makes it look dull and stained.
In addition, the lack of wax accelerates the deterioration of the material , because by allowing the moisture to be absorbed more easily, the boards tend to crack or twist.
What is the best way to wax your wooden floor? Although the use of traditional wax remains in force, there are currently other interesting products that fulfill this same purpose.
In this opportunity we want to share 4 effective ways of doing this work so that you apply them when you want to see the wood shining and clean. Point!
What should you use to wax your wooden floor?
In the market there are several products available to wax your wood floor; traditional wax is still used on board floors; however, if the wood is special, other varieties must be used.
If the floor is unvarnished wood, linoleum or cork, it is appropriate to use liquid wax or oil. It is not advisable to use this type of wax in vinyl floors, with urethane finishes or that are not waxed.
Another excellent alternative is the water-based silicone polish. This can be used in almost all soils, except those that are in cork, linoleum or unsealed wood.
The paste wax can be used to shine the floors with linoleum, cork, concrete and unvarnished; It should not be used on vinyl material or with urethane finishes.
Effective ways to wax your wooden floor
If you already have a clear idea of the most suitable wax for your floor, the next step is to learn to apply it correctly so that it leaves the material as new. Are you ready? Let’s do it!
1. Liquid wax and oil
- Clean the floor surface to remove any traces of dirt and dust.
- Moisten a soft cotton cloth with the liquid wax and rub it on the floor evenly.
- When it is finished drying, poll it with a clean towel or a polisher.
- When you notice that only the polish is left, it is because it is already dry.
2. Water-based silicone polisher
- Sweep and mop the floor to remove the grime that accumulates on the surface and the joints of the boards.
- Moisten a clean cloth and pour a little of the silicone polish.
- Apply a light layer on the wooden floor, preventing bubbles from forming.
- Then, when dry, polish the floor with a clean or polishing towel .
- After applying each layer you should wait until it dries well to polish it again before putting another one on.
3. Wax in paste
- Sweep or vacuum the floor before applying the product.
- When it is clean and dry, moisten a soft cotton cloth that has no lint.
- Apply a little wax on the surface following the instructions on the label.
- Let it dry and polish it with a clean or polishing towel.
- When the surface looks cloudy it is because the wax is already dry.
You did not know? How to make 5 natural cleansers for your wooden furniture
4. Homemade wax and turpentine recipe
If you choose to use a homemade product, we suggest you make a simple recipe for beeswax and turpentine , two ingredients with an oily texture that leave the wood clean and bright.
It is a preparation free of toxic chemicals that can be used both on floors and furniture that start to look opaque or patchy.
- ¼ cup of grated bee wax (50 g).
- ¼ cup turpentine (62 mL).
- Pour the grated beeswax into a heat resistant container and melt it in a water bath.
- When it begins to look liquid, remove with a wooden spatula and add the turpentine little by little.
- Mix until a homogeneous product is obtained and remove it from the fire.
- Wait for it to sit at room temperature and store the product in a container with a screw cap.
Note: if the smell of turpentine bothers you, you can add some essential oils to minimize it.
- Clean the surface of the wooden floor and apply the amount of wax you consider necessary.
- Rub it with a microfiber cloth until you get the desired shine.
Choose the most appropriate method to wax your wooden floor and give it the care it takes to preserve that attractive appearance. As you can see, the way to do it is almost the same, only some vary according to the wax used.