We know that there is no effective remedy that can prevent 100% of suffering from some dementia, such as Alzheimer’s. However, we can reduce its incidence by maintaining a healthy brain with good neuronal connections, where the damage can be much less. We give you simple keys that will help us.
1. Defend ourselves from dementias with a good diet
We have to take it into account for a simple reason. The maintenance of inadequate nutrition will cause our body, our veins and arteries, to be filled with toxins and fats that hinder proper circulation. The correct neuronal connection, for example. When the brain lacks the proper nutrients, small problems may begin to emerge. It’s not worth risking … improve your diet. As a fact to keep in mind, it should be remembered that specialists suggest that one of the best diets to prevent dementias is the Mediterranean. So, take note of the following aspects:
- It includes many vegetables, fruits and cereals that will help protect neurons from substances such as free radicals, their natural enemies. Antioxidants are going to be our natural allies, which is why it is appropriate to increase our contribution of citrus fruits, papayas, mangoes, strawberries, grapes … these fruits and dark-colored vegetables will be especially basic. Remember!
- Increase your diet in blue fish, rich in omeg a-3 fatty acids . Tuna, mackerel, salmon, sardines, anchovies, trout … are a wonderful source of protective fats.
- Dried fruits do you like? Then enjoy especially walnuts and hazelnuts ..
- Spices like turmeric, stands as a magnificent remedy to prevent the appearance of the dreaded plaques in our neurons that originate Alzheimer’s in the brain. Many studies are being carried out in this regard and all emphasize this great faculty.
- Essential that you increase your doses of vitamin B. You know that it is present in all green leafy vegetables, but you can also find this vitamin in capsules in natural stores and pharmacies.
2. What if we walk one hour a day?
We are sure that you already do it. But to remind you it is enough to tell you that walking between half an hour and an hour a day at a normal pace, improves our cognitive functions fighting also against neuronal decline. We provide an excellent dose of oxygen to the brain, promote circulation, increase endorphins, strengthen our immune system …. What more can we ask? You know, go out with a friend or your partner and improve your health, thus preventing possible dementias.
3. Strive to keep our heart healthy
To maintain a healthy heart we must take care of several aspects. We will start as normal for your diet. Do you tend to be a fan of industrial food, of refined, sweet, seasoned or sausage flours? Then we will go by road. Try to maintain a balance in your diet, taking care of your cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Is essential.
And what about tobacco? A natural enemy of heart and brain health. If you still keep this dangerous addiction, get rid of it, it’s not worth it.
Another essential aspect is keeping your stress levels at bay . Do you worry a lot about things? Do you have little time for yourself and to rest? Do you get home with a lot of stress and you can not “disconnect”? Do you have trouble falling asleep? Do you usually suffer from small tachycardias? All these are small warning signs that we have to take into account. Remember, keep your stress under control and you will maintain good brain health to avoid dementia.
4. A little mental exercise
An active brain is a protected brain. A new learning daily greater neuronal unions and strength in their structures, larger structures that will face a possible dementia tomorrow. You have to consider this. The mental exercise lies simply in the clear desire to learn something new every day and to feed our curiosity, our concerns.
Do not hesitate every day to pose some small challenge. What if you start keeping a diary? What if you sign up to learn a new language? Sometimes it is enough to read a little each day, to play a good game of chess, make a sudoku, paint, write a letter … lately on the Internet you have interesting applications with which to improve our cognitive abilities. Applications that you can install for example on your tablet or on your mobile phone. They are didactic and help us to carry out that indispensable mental exercise.
5. Feed your social relationships
A good social network of friends and family, involves feeding our daily life with stimuli, motivations, projects and dreams. It is food for our brain, a way to keep it burning with continuous emotions, essential to fight against dementias.
If we seclude ourselves and leave aside our social network, the motivation falls day by day, we lose the enthusiasm and the desire to undertake projects . Loneliness, and sadness are sometimes motor that generate many diseases, a motor that slowly atrophies our brain.
Think of your brain as an indispensable muscle that you have to know how to exercise. Feed it with projects, friendships, illusions, give it internal and external vitamins. Protect yourself from stress and learn new things every day. Not only will you be protecting your health, but you will be enjoying life.