Thyroid diseases present a wide range of symptoms and associated disorders that usually have a serious impact on the quality of life of the patient.
We are, without a doubt, facing one of the most common medical conditions of the population, the one that affects and that, although it is true that there is a treatment for it, it does not prevent that in many cases we are facing processes quite long and even chronic that may require surgical interventions.
Likewise, we can not forget that this butterfly-shaped gland mediates an infinity of metabolic processes and that any deficit or excess of thyroid hormone generates alterations that we can confuse with other diseases.
Few diseases occur with so many types of associated disorders and, therefore, it is interesting that we know them. It is an information that is worth bearing in mind for our health and well-being.
1. Constipation, digestive problems or irritable bowel
Thyroid diseases often occur with various alterations in our digestive system.
On the other hand, we can also differentiate what type of alteration we can suffer with our thyroid through the associated symptoms:
- Poor absorption of nutrients
hypothyroidismusually have episodes of diarrhea
- Pain in the pit of the stomach
- Abdominal distension
- Vomiting from time to time
Discover all the facts about hyperthyroidism
2. Problems with menstruation and possible infertility
Irregularities in menstruation are common in patients with thyroid diseases.
- In the case of hypothyroidism, menses tend to be more painful, longer.
- Women who suffer from hyperthyroidism , on the other hand, tend to have shorter periods in addition to less frequent periods or, worse, they can reach early
- This is undoubtedly one of the most serious disorders associated with thyroid disease, however, it usually appears in women who have not yet been diagnosed or who are not offered effective treatment.
Therefore, we always try to be well looked after by the best professionals.
3. Muscular and joint problems
This is one of the most common problems of thyroid diseases, but in turn the most unknown. It is important to keep this in mind:
- People with hypothyroidism regardless of age or gender often suffer persistent muscle and joint pains. It is such an exhausting annoyance that we can receive an erroneous diagnosis, such as fibromyalgia.
- However, this symptomatology is usually reduced significantly with treatment.
- Also, people with thyroid problems often develop , as well as plantar fasciitis.
People with hyperthyroidism , on the other hand, usually show pain and weakness in the arms and legs.
4. High cholesterol
We are facing another fact that, without a doubt, can surprise more than one. Does having a problem with our thyroid cause my bad cholesterol or LDL to rise? Well, more than “increase” makes it more resistant.
- It is something that is usually seen when, certain patients, fail to reduce their high cholesterol level or diet, or exercise, or
When this happens, we are facing a person suffering from hypothyroidism. On the other hand, a very low level (which is also not positive) can indicate a case of hyperthyroidism.
5. Alterations in our rest due to thyroid diseases
One of the aspects that most affect the quality of life of patients with thyroid diseases is the bad condition of rest. However, it is not precisely that they sleep less, let’s see:
- Sometimes, even if I have slept 10 hours the person gets up tired, without strength.
- Sometimes, that feeling of not having rested makes the patient need to sleep naps or whole weekends. It is quite serious.
6. Changes in the skin
In addition to hair loss it is common to experience quite striking changes in the skin.
- We can notice it more rough, dry and scaly, especially on the heels, knees and elbows. Conditions associated with hypothyroidism.
- With hyperthyroidism , on the other hand, the skin can become fragile and very sensitive to changes in temperature.
Read also .
7. Depression and anxiety
Also, and as a fact that many doctors usually keep in mind, is that when a patient with a depressive disorder shows resistance to psychotropic drugs it is common to have a problem with the thyroid.
Let us therefore have this information very present.