Ginger is a plant of the zingiberáceas family which usually takes advantage of the rhizome.
- The rhizome is the underground stem from which the roots emerge.
- Botanically it is known as Zingiber officinale, which means “horn shape”.
- It stands out for having an intense aroma and a somewhat spicy flavor.
Many years ago ginger was a plant that was practically impossible to obtain.
However, nowadays it is one of the most used and prescribed for home remedies of all kinds.
It was made known thanks to traditional Chinese medicine, and can now be obtained in any supermarket or common market.
It is also useful when treating respiratory diseases such as cough or flu in general and as a pain reliever to relieve body pain.
Also, its great contribution of vitamins C and B6 and minerals, among which potassium stands out, makes it good for different pathologies. In addition, it has antioxidant properties.
How can ginger be used?
It can also be used in juices, infusions, desserts, natural syrups or directly fresh.
Also, there are many cosmetic products that use it as a main ingredient.
The only contraindication that exists with respect to the use of ginger is that it raises the body’s body temperature.
Therefore, it is not recommended in the following cases:
- People presenting a feverish picture
- Pregnant women
- People who have problems and maintain treatment with aspirin (since it potentiates the effects).
How to prepare ginger water?
- 4 cups of water (1 liter)
- 4 tablespoons chopped or sliced ginger (40 g)
- Heat the water and, when it reaches a boil, add the ginger.
- We will let the decoction take place for 10 minutes and then let another 15 rest.
- After the indicated time, we will pour the infusion.
- We can consume it hot or cold.
- If you wish, you can also sweeten it with a little honey or stevia.
Ginger water can be accompanied by an infinity of spices , however, cardamom, cinnamon and lemon are the most commonly used ingredients to accompany this infusion.
Then we talk about the 5 best benefits of eating ginger water for your health.
1. Helps to speed up the metabolism
Ginger stands out for its thermogenic properties.
That is why it is excellent for accelerating metabolism and helps reduce fat in obese people.
Its consumption is recommended for those who want to or fight obesity.
2. Improve your digestion
altos niveles de fibra, por lo que favorece y optimiza los movimientos intestinales. This plant has high levels of fiber, which favors and optimizes bowel movements.
3. Excellent antioxidant
As we have already indicated at the beginning, ginger is known to be an excellent source of vitamins and minerals.
Thanks to its antioxidant properties it is excellent for cardiovascular health. Prevents the hardening and narrowing of the arteries , which favors the flow of blood.
In the aesthetic field is used to , moisturize and prevent dryness of the hair, as well as to prevent its fall and promote its growth.
4. Keeps cholesterol levels stable
It is said that ginger water helps the body regulate serum levels of bad cholesterol (LDL).
As we have already indicated, high levels of LDL cholesterol in the blood can cause the arteries to become clogged and lead to cardiovascular problems.
5. It is an excellent anti-inflammatory
Thanks to its properties, ginger water can help to reduce inflammation and eliminate pain in certain areas of the body , so it can be very appropriate in case of:
- Joint pain
- Muscle pain