Who does not like crêpes ? However, many people can not eat them because they do not digest any of the ingredients well or they prefer not to abuse because they are afraid of getting fat. However, we do not have to give up this delicious and capricious sweet. We present the cassava and coconut crêpes .
In this article we propose an alternative and healthy recipe made with cassava starch and milk and coconut oil . Try it!
Gluten-free and lactose-free
More and more people have digestive problems as a result of poor tolerance to gluten and lactose. This intolerance can suffer to a greater or lesser extent. If it is mild, we will notice the most long-term effects, with habitual disorders such as gas or acidity, while if it is more serious we can notice it right when we eat it.
However, there are also more and more alternatives to replace gluten and lactose:
- Alternatives to foods with gluten : cereals and flours derived from rice, corn, cassava, buckwheat,
- Alternatives to dairy foods : made with vegetable fruit drinks (coconut), nuts (
Cassava or cassava is a tuber rich in complex carbohydrates, among which starch predominates. It is rich in fiber, protein and vitamins (A, B, C and K) and minerals (magnesium, calcium, potassium, iron).
It has the great advantage that it does not contain gluten , so it is suitable for coeliacs and people intolerant to this protein. In addition, at the culinary level it is excellent for the recipes of bread and crêpes , as it provides flavor, consistency and elasticity, at the same time it helps raise the dough without the need to use yeast.
It is very rich in essential fatty acids, protein and fiber, as well as low in sugars . It is very suitable for people suffering from digestive disorders, such as heartburn, gastritis or ulcers. In addition, its high content of minerals and trace elements make it a good choice for athletes and people who make important intellectual efforts.
Coconut milk is an excellent vegetable drink as an alternative to cow’s milk. In fact, it is the most similar both for its taste and for its nutritional values. It is, for example, a very complete food for children.
We can buy it already prepared or elaborate it at home, beating the pulp of fresh coconut with water, and then strain it. However, it should be consumed very soon since it usually spoils from the second day .
Coconut is very rich in healthy fats, from which the famous oil is extracted. The extra virgin can subject it to high temperatures without it becoming toxic, like most oils.
Crêpes cassava and coconut
To prepare these cassava and coconut crêpes we will need the following ingredients :
- 1 egg.
- 1 cup (200 ml) of coconut milk.
- 1 ½ cup (150 g) of cassava starch.
- One spoonful (12 g) of sugar or a few drops of liquid stevia.
- A pinch of salt.
- A little extract of vanilla, cinnamon, cocoa,
- Extra virgin coconut oil
If we do not have coconut milk we can replace it with another vegetable drink.
To elaborate cassava crêpes we will follow the following steps :
- We will put the egg in the blender. We will beat well.
- We will add coconut milk, sugar or stevia and salt.
- We will incorporate vanilla or spices (optional).
- Finally, we will add cassava starch little by little. If instead of using the blender we do it by hand we will have to beat hard and fast so that it does not make lumps .
- We will put a few drops of coconut oil in the pan.
- When it is hot, we will throw a little of the liquid mass, just enough to cover the base of the pan.
- We’ll wait a few seconds until it cooks and we’ll turn it around.
- If we are going to fill the crêpes we will do it at this moment.