Several centers in the country are participating in a clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy of a new drug for insomnia. The study is directed by specialists in Neurophysiology, Psychiatry and Sleep Units of the participating centers in Spain.
This international research will be conducted in women 55 years of age and older and men 65 years of age or older. Certain circumstances associated with age make this group of people especially affected by insomnia, which has a direct effect and deterioration of quality of life.
Consequences of insomnia
Insomnia is a major sleep disorder and those who suffer from it have difficulty falling asleep, staying awake all night or waking up early in the morning.
Experts say that there is more and more scientific evidence of the relationship between insomnia and an increased risk of suffering or controlling diabetes, a higher cardiovascular risk, etc.
It is estimated that around 30% of adults suffer from this disorder and the figure rises to 65% in older people , although insomnia should not be considered a normal part of aging due to the deterioration of quality of life that can produce. Insomnia can become a chronic situation and there are several causes that cause it. Lack of sleep or disturbances when trying to fall asleep may cause lack of energy, lower performance in activities of daily living, health problems and tension in relationships with loved ones in everyday life.
The clinical trial
A new tablet administered orally once a day and with a mechanism of action different from that of the conventional medication used to treat insomnia will be evaluated . This new drug has already been evaluated in previous phases of clinical trials and has obtained good results in terms of efficacy, safety and few side effects. The research is being extended to a greater number of patients to corroborate these results in patients from different medical centers in Europe and North America.
The essay is now starting in Madrid, Barcelona, Vitoria, A Coruña and Pamplona. It consists of a two-month study in which participating patients will have to make nine visits to specialists from these centers. To participate in it, patients must have suffered insomnia in the last three months and have an age of 55 or more years in the case of women and 65 or more years in the case of men.
If a patient meets the requirements to participate in the study, you will have up to seven sleep studies, for which you will have to spend the night in the hospital in order to be monitored. For this reason, the company that promotes the trial offers an economic compensation for the overnight stay and the travel expenses to the center. If you are interested in participating in the trial, contact the following hospitals:
- A CORUÑA. 15006 – Hospital San Rafael. Electronic mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Contact telephone number: 981179010 (ext 0351)
- MADRID. 28036 – Sleep Research Institute. Electronic mail: email@example.com. Telephone number: 913454129
- BARCELONA . 08036 – Hospital Clinic (call from 3 to 5 pm). Telephone number: 93 2275413
- BARCELONA. 08017 – Clinica Son Estivil. Electronic mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Telephone number: 932121354
- BARCELONA. 08036 – Hospital of the Santa Creu I Sant Pau. Electronic mail: email@example.com. Telephone numbers for contact: 935537855/935537856
- PAMPLONA – University Clinic of Navarra. Electronic mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Telephone number: 948 255 400
- VITORIA. Hospital of Araba – Txagorritxu. Electronic mail: SECRETARIAUNIDADSUENO.HOSPITALHUATXAGO@osakidetza.eus. Telephone number: 945007309/94500729