For some time it became fashionable to eat quinoa to lose weight. This vegetable ingredient is part of the so-called “superfoods” , due to its high nutritional quality. It is an important source of fiber, omega 3 and essential amino acids that help fight overweight.
In fact, it is a pseudocereal of great energetic value that is recommended to complement the diet, since it promotes the general well-being. Its low caloric intake and its versatility make it ideal for any plan to lose weight. In addition, it is low glycemic index and prolongs the feeling of satiety .
Why has it become so popular? How can you prepare? We know that many still do not know their properties. For this reason, below we want to share in detail its main benefits and some simple ways to add it to the diet .
Benefits of eating quinoa to lose weight
Quinoa (Chenopodium quinoa) , also known as quinoa, is a small grain native to South America that has managed to steal the interest of thousands of consumers around the world. It is noted for its similarities to some cereals, but it is a gluten-free food with a higher amount of nutrients.
Quinoa Nutrition Facts
One of the reasons to eat quinoa to lose weight is its low caloric intake. Although its carbohydrates and proteins serve the body as “fuel”, it is an ingredient with very few calories. Additionally, each 100 grams of quinoa can provide:
- 12 grams of proteins
- 8 grams of insoluble fiber
- 53 grams of carbohydrates
- 6 grams of fat
- Vitamins A, E, C, thiamin and riboflavin
- Minerals such as calcium, potassium, iron and zinc
The calorie intake of quinoa can vary depending on the cooking method to which it is subjected. If the seed is cooked, it provides around 120 calories per 100 grams. If instead it is inflamed, it contributes up to 364 calories for the same portion.
Reasons to eat quinoa to lose weight
After reviewing the nutritional qualities of quinoa, it is time to know in detail why it is such a recommended food to fight against excess weight. Well, we must say that it is a great complement to the diet, since all its properties benefit metabolic health.
- Its high content of protein and carbohydrates help maintain optimal energy expenditure , which is crucial to lose weight.
- It is a food whose caloric intake is lower, which forces the body to burn more calories than it gets.
- Thanks to its high contribution of dietary fiber is ideal to control cravings and lower cholesterol.
- Its omega 3 content improves cardiovascular health and helps decrease excess inflammation.
- It assimilates the enzymes and controls digestion problems . In fact, it has slight depurative effects that promote the elimination of waste.
- Optimizes the use of sugars as a source of energy and, therefore, helps regulate blood glucose.
How to eat quinoa to lose weight?
Because of the great acceptance that has had in the diet, nowadays many ways of preparing quinoa are known. From salads, to drinks and hamburgers, it is an ingredient that is increasingly integrated into regular meals for those who want to enjoy a healthy weight.
Before its inclusion in recipes, the ideal is to wash it well to eliminate the bitter taste that characterizes it. This procedure is very simple, because it only consists in rinsing the seeds several times until they are clean.
Quinoa milk for weight loss
Quinoa milk is one of the alternative ways to take advantage of the benefits of this food in a plan to lose weight. It is a drink that increases the sensation of vitality and slows the sensation of hunger . Although it can be prepared only with quinoa, we suggest adding cinnamon and vanilla for an “extra touch” of flavor.
- 200 grams of quinoa
- 1.5 liters of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- Add the quinoa in a bowl of water and let it soak overnight.
- The next morning, drain it in a colander and put the beans in a pot with two cups of water.
- Put it to cook over low heat until it softens.
- Then, transfer it to the blender and wash it with the rest of the water.
- Process for a few moments, until you get a homogeneous drink.
- Finally, strain it and add the vanilla , cinnamon and honey.
- Eat 2 or 3 cups of quinoa milk throughout the day.
Other ways to eat quinoa to lose weight
Quinoa milk is a good option to calm hunger at snack time. However, other alternative preparations can also be given to make it easier to incorporate them into the regular diet. Do not hesitate to prepare:
- Quinoa as a substitute for rice and pasta
- Quinoa salad
- Quinoa soup
- Quina with vegetables
- Quinoa vegetable burger
- Quinoa cookies
To take into account!
Quinoa is a very complete food that can help you lose weight due to the effect of its nutrients. However, it is not a “miraculous” product, nor does it produce results on its own . To lose weight effectively, it is necessary to include this ingredient as part of a balanced diet and low in calories.