The gypsy arm is a stuffed and rolled cake with a lot of variations, this time we bring you one prepared with dulce de leche, which will be to suck your fingers.
Gypsy arm recipe filled with dulce de leche
For the sponge cake
- 6 Large eggs
- 10 g of salt
- 150 g of sugar
- 50 g of corn starch
- 20 g of sugar
- 15 g of baking powder
For the filling
- 1 l of whole milk
- 350 g of sugar
- 15 g of baking soda
- 10 ml of vanilla essence
- Baking sheet
- Butter paper
- Big bowl
- Containers to separate ingredients
- Medium deep pot
- Wooden spoon for mixing
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- In a deep bowl, separate the whites from the yolks.
- Mix the egg whites with a blender until they are tenderized with 6 tablespoons of cold water .
- Once your whites have formed peaks, you must incorporate sugar and teaspoon of salt.
- Beat until the mixture shines, then add the egg yolks .
- Proceed to mix the powdered ingredients, which are flour , yeast and starch. Sift them with a colander to remove the lumps and incorporate them slowly and taking care not to spill them. Mix until everything is homogeneous.
- Line a large baking tray with butter paper and pour the dough you have prepared on it.
- Bake for at least 20 minutes without neglecting the tray , you will not want it to burn.
- While you wait for the dough to bake, you can start preparing the filling.
- Heat the milk with the sugar in a deep pot and at medium heat until it completely dissolves, mixing with a wooden spoon.
- Incorporates sifted baking and vanilla essence.
- Lower the temperature of the fire to the minimum and let the sweet cook for two hours, taking care that the milk does not come to boil. Do not forget that you must mix everything so that you help the sweet to thicken . It will gradually take color and the liquid will evaporate until you have as a result a thick sweet.
- Wait until your cake is cooked and remove it from the oven, let it cool for 15 minutes on the tray.
- After this time, turn it over so that you can remove the paper.
- Roll it over itself from the ends that give it the width and let it finish cooling completely, while you wait for the candy to be ready.
- When it has passed the cooking time of the dulce de leche , remove it from the stove and continue stirring for about 5 or 10 minutes more, this will help to cool it down.
- Unroll the cake and put a generous layer of the milk candy inside , try not to put too much on the edges so it does not spill.
- Taking it again from the ends that give it the width, re-roll the cake. Leave it very compact so that it does not break down or unwind.
- If you want you can sprinkle it with a little sugar to glaze in the part that has been exposed, and that’s it, your dessert ready to serve and enjoy after dinner or as a snack accompanied by a tea.
Data of interest
- The preparation of the gypsy arm will be very easy if you have experience baking, which is basically the most complicated step, in addition to bringing egg whites to the snow point. For the rest it is a very simple dish, which you can make in about three hours.
- You can use the vanilla in essence, extract or seeds, whatever you have on hand to give your recipe an odor.
- Do not stop stirring your milk candy, otherwise it will form lumps or stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Be careful with the proportions when you bring your egg whites to the point of snow, you must put a spoonful of water for each egg you add. Beat constantly at medium speed until, when turning the container, the contents do not spill.
- In case you are not going to consume your gypsy arm immediately, it is best that you keep it in the fridge so that it stays better.