It is a traditional dessert from Mallorca, Spain and everyone who visits this wonderful island, can not help but try it. It is available everywhere! Even homemade ensaimada is sold at the airport to take on a trip or wrapped to keep in the suitcase and enjoy at home. Learn to prepare it in the next article.
Step by step homemade ensaimada recipe
The name of this recipe comes from the word “Saim” name that is given to pork butter in Mallorcan lands. The elaboration process can be a bit complicated if you do not have experience , but with practice you can prepare it without problems. Also, since you are so rich you will want to do it several times … you will become a specialist in homemade ensaimada .
- 600 g of strength flour
- 200 g of sugar
- 125 g of pork butter
- 3 eggs
- 20 g of fresh
- 150 ml of warm water
- Sugar glas to sprinkle
- Electric rods
- Film or canvas paper
- Baking tray
- Serving tray
- In a bowl place the sugar, a spoonful of butter and the eggs. Aside, mix the warm water with the yeast (so that it activates faster adds a pinch of sugar). After a few minutes, integrate both mixtures.
- Sift the flour and pour it into the preparation little by little, stirring constantly. With the Cover with a cloth or plastic wrap and leave it overnight in the oven, thus doubling its volume.
- After that time, cut the dough into portions (each of them will be an ensaimada). You have the possibility of making 2 large or 15 small ingredients with these ingredients. Let them rest for 45 more minutes once you have shaped them into a ball.
- Using a roller, flatten each of the balls. When you’re done with all of them, sprinkle some pork butter on each one. Stretch again so that you are as thin as possible. Roll the dough lengthwise and then give it the shape of ensaimada. It is as if it were a circular mass spring. Put on a baking tray previously greased (very little, remember that the ensaimadas already have
- Turn on the oven and let the dough light a little more (about 20 minutes). Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown . Remove from the oven, and if you can withstand the temptation, wait a few minutes to serve. Meanwhile, move to a tray and sprinkle with icing sugar.
Data of interest
- Level of difficulty: Intermediate
- Preparation time: 40 minutes + 13 hours of rest in total
- Tips: To make the kneading process easier, you can put some oil on your hands (they have to be clean before you start!).
Mallorcan ensaimada pudding recipe
Maybe you want to modify the original recipe a bit or you have already become an expert in ensaimadas. Therefore, you can try making this pudding.
- 6 eggs
- 1 liter of milk
- 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 ensaimada
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 envelope of liquid candy
- Mold for pudding
- Baking dish
- Pour the liquid caramel into a pudding mold. Crumble the ensaimada (which you will have done with the previous recipe) and reserve.
- In a bowl beat the eggs with Turn on the oven and pour the mixture over the mold.
- Place on a baking dish with water. Put to cook for 1 hour. To know when it is, click with a toothpick (if it comes out dry and clean, you can remove). Let it cool to room temperature and then put in the fridge until the next day. Release and cut.
Data of interest
- Difficulty level: Easy
- Preparation time : 1 hour and 20 minutes + 12 hours of refrigerator
- Tips: If the ensaimada is hard it is better, because it crumbles without problems.