Do you have a party and do not know what to prepare for your guests? Do not worry, today we bring you a simple recipe for Genoese cake. Apart from being easy to prepare, it is a delight with which your guests, family or friends will simply be delighted.
The best thing is that the Genoese cake, apart from being very delicious, provides a low and an acceptable amount of protein , mostly from the eggs you will use for its preparation.
This is, more or less, the calorie breakdown of this exquisite dessert:
Ingredients to prepare genoese cake
To prepare this dessert, the first thing to do is to clear the work area and organize your ingredients well, since you will need to separate them to have the different components of the cake.
For the cake
For sauce or soaking
- 1 large can of milk cream.
- 1 large can of evaporated milk.
- 1 large can of condensed milk
- Optional: 1 tbsp of gelatin without flavor.
For the cover or meringue
The Genoese cake can be served with or without a cover or meringue . In fact, you’ve probably seen that in some cookbooks, meringue is included and not in others.
Keep in mind that, adding merengue definitely gives the dessert a much more aesthetic appearance, but it also increases the .
However, the caloric intake is not very significant in relation to the total caloric content of the cake. If you dare to include merengue, these are the ingredients you will need:
- 3 egg whites
- Sugar to taste).
How to prepare our Genovese cake
- Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
- Separate the whites from the Keep the yolk inside each shell for later use.
- Beat the whites with a blender in snow. If you prefer, use a spatula to whisk the whites instead of the blender. In most cases the mixer makes the mixture lose porosity, but the difference is not very significant. If you want, you can try both methods and then tell us if you feel any difference.
- While stirring, add the first yolk and then a spoonful of sugar and continue beating until they dissolve completely.
- Add another yolk, sugar and so on until you have beaten all the yolks and all the sugar.
- Add the 7 tablespoons of flour, one by one.
- Make sure that the spoonful of flour you add is well dissolved before adding the next one.
- Use a spatula to detach the mixture from the edges and, at the same time, make smooth and enveloping movements to prevent the eggs from falling in volume.
- Grease and sprinkle a circular mold with flour. If possible, use a removable mold.
- Pour the mixture into the mold and take it to the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Then, put a knife in the cake and verify that it comes out clean.
The sauce or soaking
While our cake is in the oven, we can proceed to prepare the soaking . This part is very easy. Here are the simple steps:
- In a blender glass, pour the condensed milk, the evaporated milk and the cream of milk.
- Mix until a uniform mixture is obtained.
- When removing the cake from the oven, while still hot, pour about three quarts of soaking (save the other quarter to pour on the pieces when serving).
- We recommend you to prick the cake in about four points of the surface so that it absorbs well the soaking.
- Let it cool and then refrigerate it for 2 hours before serving. Unless you’ve decided to add merengue.
- If you have left the last quarter of sauce for later, instead of pouring on each piece, you can also add a spoonful of unflavored gelatin and add it to the whole cake before cooling.
The meringue for your Genovese cake
If soaking was easy for you, preparing the merengue will be like taking a walk in the park. If you are going to decorate your cake with meringue, remove it from the mold and place it on a large plate.
- Add the three egg whites and beat until the snow point.
- Little by little, add sugar and keep beating until you get the right consistency.
- Decorate your cake with the meringue and here you can uncover your creativity.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours.
Now, to refine this delicious and easy to prepare dessert. Bon Appetite!