If pain bothers and discourages us, let alone the pain caused by muscle cramps … it can be exasperating!
In this article we analyze what are the possible causes of cramps and how-with simple techniques-we can alleviate the discomfort caused by them.
As we will see, that painful and temporary paralysis called cramping can occur for many different reasons : for subjecting our muscles to excessive effort , for performing some unusual movement . It is even possible that it is also produced by staying a long time in the same position (sitting, standing, etc.).
Another possible reason is that the body lacks hydration , that is to say that it does not have the necessary amount of liquid, or that there are mineral deficiencies in the diet , or due to insufficient blood supply to the muscles.
But cramps are also caused by exposure to cold, stress, anemia, deficiencies of vitamin E, diseases ( arthritis , arteriosclerosis and fibromyalgia) or the use of some medications such as diuretics.
While cramps can affect any muscle in the body, they are more common in the calves, thighs, feet and hands. In the middle of that episode, you will surely ask: what can I do to calm him down?
Methods to relieve muscle cramps
- As a first step, you can help by placing ice , infallible recipe for inflammation. A little ice in the affected area will cause the muscle to relax.
- It is also good to apply, in the area, cloth soaked in arnica or apple cider vinegar for 5 minutes. Remove and reapply if discomfort persists. Arnica relieves pain and activates circulation.
- If the cramp is in the legs, mix a teaspoon of mustard seeds in a liter of water. Boil for 10 minutes and add to the water in a tub to perform a leg bath for 20 minutes.
- In addition, several times a day, apply on the affected area, essential oils such as eucalyptus, pine, rosemary or thyme , which give a feeling of warmth that will help you relax.
- When cramps are caused by carrying a heavy load of exercise, the best solution is to try to rest . If you can fall asleep, better yet.
- If you can not sleep and the discomfort generated by the cramp extends for more than five minutes, shower with warm water . This will help you get the relaxation you need.
- If the cramping occurs, for example, in a leg or arm, it is best to do a slight stretch of the muscle , or massage in the opposite direction to the course of pain, which will gradually stretch the muscle and relax it. The important thing is that you must practice it at the time of the episode, to avoid muscle injuries.
- Pay close attention to hydration, whether you’re doing physical activity or not . It is essential to have the body hydrated at all times. However, it is convenient that you do not consume products with high sugar content.
- If the cause of the cramp is the lack of minerals, mix a tablespoon of honey and another of apple cider vinegar in a cup of hot water and drink it . This will achieve an adequate distribution of calcium in the body and thus avoid chronic cramps.
How to prevent muscle cramps
If you are willing to do any physical activity or sport, keep in mind the following tips:
- Before starting the exercise it is good to perform warm-up exercises.
- Get plenty of rest before and after exercising.
- You must also feed yourself well so that your body has all the nutrients it requires, especially foods rich in potassium, such as bananas.
- Drink water before, during and after exercise.
It is important to know that if you are experiencing cramps too often, it is best to go to an appointment with your doctor, because cramps can be indicators of some kind of muscle condition.
Decide to put into practice the tips we have shared and say goodbye to the pain!