The hummus of chickpeas has become the favorite of many thanks to its wide spread as a vegetarian and vegan appetizer. However, this typical preparation of Arab cuisine is very well known in the Mediterranean and the rest of the Middle East.
It is believed that the recipe originated in ancient Egypt. Although the last word has not yet been said about it, there is the certainty that the word hummus means ‘garbanzo’ in Arabic.
It is usually served as an accompaniment or as an appetizer , hence it has become so popular. In general, it is enjoyed together with pita bread although it is also delicious on toast of any type of bread or with some raw carrot sticks or other
How to prepare a light chickpea hummus?
Although this cream is, in itself, quite light , many people wonder how they can prepare a lighter version. The purpose is, of course, to reduce the amount of ingredients that have the potential to promote body weight gain without ignoring good
Ingredients (for 3 or 4 people)
- The juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon of salt (5 g)
- ¼ cup of warm water (50 ml)
- 2 tablespoons of
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil (the amount needed).
- 2 ½ cups cooked chickpeas (500 g)
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder (5 g)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (30 ml)
- To decorate: chopped parsley or sweet pepper powder
- Optional condiments:
- For the recipe to be light, the first thing we have to do is take the cooked chickpeas and pour them in a bowl with warm water. It is important that the water covers them completely. We let the chickpeas rest in the water for at least 1 hour so that the skin falls off.
- Once this time has elapsed, we proceed to prepare the hummus. To do this, we strain the chickpeas to separate them from the skin that was detached and we discarded almost all the water (except for a little).
- Next, we proceed to crush the chickpeas with the help of a hand blender.
- Apart, we crushed the cloves of fresh .
- Squeeze half a lemon and add the juice to the chickpeas. Eye, the lemon should not be too big.
- Incorporate all the ingredients in the bowl and beat again, at medium speed, while adding just a little olive oil.
- Once ready, we check how much it has remained of flavor and we rectify the seasoning , in case of being necessary. We decorate and serve.
How to prepare the tahini?
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons of sesame (30 g)
- 1 tablespoon of water (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (15 ml)
- Rinse the sesame in plenty of water. It is very important that we then drain it well.
- In case it is not toasted, it will be necessary to take it to toast in a hot pan over high heat. (It is necessary to toast the seeds so that the flavor is more intense) .
- Place the seeds in a bowl, then add the olive oil, water and a pinch of salt and proceed to beat everything. We repeat this procedure until the seeds have become a kind of soft paste.
It should be noted that the secret of this preparation is in the moderate use of olive oil. That is, the less oil we use, the better . Now, regarding the conservation of hummus, it is necessary to keep it in a refrigerated place for a maximum of 3 days. As it does not contain preservatives, it will not be able to maintain itself in good condition after that time.
The hummus of chickpeas gives us an excellent excuse to take a healthy and delicious snack at any time of the day . It is worth preparing it at home so that we can dispose of it whenever we want. And, with practice, we can make our recipe better than any other.
To suck your fingers!