The banana originates as many recipes as imagination, creativity and skill allow it. This is the exceptional case that you will find delicious patacones. A rather curious and methodical way that today you can learn.
If you’ve never heard anything about delicious patacones, do not worry. This recipe basically consists of slicing the green banana , passing through abundant vegetable oil, removing, crushing a little and re-immersing in oil. As you will see, a whole process that requires following steps.
So, the objective is to be able to change the structure and texture , originally soft and smooth of the bananas to a rigid and crispy one. In this sense, this recipe is the basis to be able to cover with a filling loaded with strips of beef or mechada. In addition, the typical and traditional seasoning of the Zulia region (Venezuela), the place where the delicious patacones are native.
For the countries of Western Europe or other parts of America, including Asia, this preparation can bring with it several surprises for those who are about to taste it for the first time. It is perhaps one of the only dishes that is based exclusively on one fruit as the main ingredient. Also relevant are dressings and fillings.
Do not miss the opportunity to get to know a little about each country through its gastronomic culture. And yes, we encourage you to measure the time from when you start until you finish. No more than 20 minutes ¡Adelante!
How to prepare the delicious patacones
This recipe is the one that retains the greatest admiration and, consequently , the one that surely you have checked or seen in other media.
It comes from the banana still green and uses salt and frying methods that maintain similarity with the way of making chips crisps . So that you are the one who judges and learns what you should do, you just have to follow the instructions.
- 4 green bananas
- 1 cup of vegetable oil (250 ml)
- 3 tablespoons of salt (45 g)
- Start with peeling all the bananas. One by one and reserve them. It is very important that you do not cut them into slices or something similar. Remember, since this is the classic recipe for patacones, they will be made whole, not in strips. Important not to forget it!
- Add the oil in the pan and heat over medium heat.
- When you are at a point near to being very hot (it is recommended to pass the hand over to feel the heat) it will be time to proceed with the next step.
- Put the whole green banana (without cutting it) into the hot oil and let it brown on both sides.
- The objective is that it acquires that characteristic golden color and the own chemistry of the oil makes it harden and comes out a bit.
- After about 2 minutes, proceed to remove it and reserve it. Repeat this same process with all bananas.
- The next thing you have to do is, crush them (whole, uncut). You can use a wooden press or a large plate, supporting your body weight on the dimensions of bananas.
- Once all the bananas are crushed, immediately proceed to submerge inside the hot oil and let it cool for 5 minutes. They will be ready when they are hard and crispy when punctured.
Classic filling of the delicious patacones
Basically, this is what you will place on the patacones once they are ready . And on top you will add more flavor with the use of the dressing you prefer. It may be a bit of mayonnaise or any other sauce that you have made at home or that you have at your disposal.
Even, there are people who use a touch of hot sauce to give a more daring flavor.
- 4 strips of beef (400 g)
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (15 g)
- 2 tablespoons of English sauce (30 ml)
- ½ chopped white onion
- 1 spoonful of onoto powder (15 g)
- 1 cup of mayonnaise dressing (250 ml)
- Start by placing the strands of beef tenderloin in a medium saucepan with water, salt, English sauce, finely chopped onion, a touch of spice (optional) and cook 15 minutes over high heat.
- As you notice that the water in the stew is reduced, remember to remove a little with the help of a wooden palette so that the ingredients are well integrated.
- Slowly, taste the seasoning of the filling a bit and make sure it is at the point. If you need something else, you can add one more touch of salt and garlic powder.
- When the stew is ready, remove and reserve.
- Serve over patacones and garnish with mayonnaise or any other sauce you prefer . Bon Appetite!