Green smoothies are fashionable. They are a very complete food that has more and more followers thanks to its nutritional values and its surprising and delicious flavor, despite its color.
Discover in this article how to introduce yourself to the world of green smoothies and how they can help you improve your health.
What are green smoothies?
Green shakes are creamy drinks made with fruits, vegetables and all kinds of healthy foods: cereals, seeds, nuts, first cold pressure oils, etc. They do not contain any dairy product or refined sugars , so they are very healthy and suitable recipes for everyone.
These shakes are green because this pigment present in vegetables usually takes over the rest of the colors. However, the resulting flavor is sweet and fruity, which is why the whole family likes it .
Although we can already find them in many stores selling to the public, the ideal is that we prepare green smoothies at home , with seasonal ingredients of the highest quality. We will only need a blender. In this way, we can also do them to our liking, choosing the ingredients that we like the most.
What properties do they have?
Green smoothies have the following health properties:
- They are excellent for a balanced weight , whether we are overweight or missing a few kilos, because what they do is improve the assimilation of nutrients at the intestinal level.
- In weight loss diets they help us to feel satiated more easily.
- They are a very antioxidant food , ideal to prevent cell aging.
- They improve the functioning of the organs and enhance the cleansing capacity of the body to eliminate toxins and feel better of any disorder.
- They digest easily and improve intestinal transit .
- They are diuretics , so they fight swelling and fluid retention.
- They improve the health of the skin and any skin disorder such as eczema, psoriasis, etc.
- Strengthen the hair and nails.
- They help us feel better, with energy and vitality throughout the day.
How and when are they taken?
The best time of the day to have the green smoothie is in the morning , as a breakfast. If we are more hungry we can eat something solid a little later. On the other hand, if we do not usually have breakfast, it is advisable to prepare it a little more liquid and take it sipping during the morning as if it were a juice.
We can also take it in a timely manner as a substitute for food , if we want to compensate for an excess of the previous day or to give a break to our digestive system. However, we do not recommend taking it as a dinner , as it could activate us too much and make our rest difficult.
Preparation of a green smoothie
The ingredients of the green smoothie are the following:
The green leaves
They are the main ingredient of our shake and the one that gives it its characteristic color. Here are several options:
We recommend that they be ecological to avoid pesticides in our shake.
The fruit is what gives flavor and sweetness to our smoothie. Ideally, choose one or two different fruits per milkshake:
We can also add a bit of ecological lemon peeling.
To complete our smoothie we recommend adding, to our liking, foods that have very complete nutritional values , to turn our drink into a potent nutritional and medicinal remedy.
- Vegetable oils of first cold pressure: coconut, flax, wheat germ.
- Dried fruits: prunes, raisins, apricots.
- Seeds and nuts.
- Pea protein
- Ceylon cinnamon.
- Wheat grass
This is the basic recipe for the smoothie that a person should take each day.
- 1 banana
- 1 apple
- A handful of spinach (50 gr)
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil (15 gr)
- 1 tablespoon oat flakes (12 gr)
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa
- 5 nuts
- Stevia to taste
- 1 glass of water or vegetable drink
We just have to beat all the ingredients well until a homogeneous texture is left and our shake will be ready.