The pots are containers in which we put plants of all kinds , from small bonsai, flowers, ferns, aromatic herbs (such as mint, for example), to palm trees.
Its purpose is to give a suitable support to the plant ornament that has been destined to a specific space (whether indoor or outdoor).
While they can be purchased at any garden store and even in supermarkets; Many times it is best to make our own pots, to our liking.
After all, the ones that tend to sell are typical red clay pots (now they also come in plastic) and these are not always pleasing to the eye. Of course, everything depends on our type of decoration. Below we will show you some ideas so that you can encourage yourself to get down to work.
Pots made with cans
The good thing about making pots with tin cans is that you avoid throwing away objects that still have utility. Surely, at home you have many cans and after using the products inside, they are discarded without further ado.
They also come in various sizes and shapes, which is excellent for making them in different sizes and colors. In this way, your garden will be colorful without having to spend and, most importantly, you will give your own style.
Materials that we will use
- 1 knife
- Paper tape.
- Spray paints.
- Cans of different sizes.
- You will take the cans and you will make holes in the base to drain the water sprayed when watering the plants. In this way, you will prevent water from accumulating in the pot and rotting the plant.
- With a spray paint (the color of your liking) you will paint the entire surface evenly.
- Let the paint dry for as long as indicated on the spray.
- You place paper tape vertically or horizontally.
- Paint with another color over the entire surface.
- Once dry, you remove the paper tape, add fertile soil and, of course, the plant you have selected.
Vintage flower pots from cans
We will show you another technique to decorate. If you like old and vintage you can not miss this beautiful technique. It consists of aging the tin a little with paints. This gives a romantic touch and at the same time, very nostalgic.
Following a few simple steps you can make designs look like those belonging to the early twentieth century. They will look great on a balcony or in a corner of the patio.
- Fine sandpaper
- Piece of white candle.
- Stamp with drawings of flowers or the reason of your preference.
- Acrylic paints sienna and white antique.
- Base of primer (It is for dyeing the tin and that is well painted).
- First you take the can and drill the holes in the floor. It is important because if not the plant drowns.
- Mix a little base of primer with white acrylic.
- You paint the whole can inside and out (So you avoid it to rust).
- You pass the candle by the upper and lower edges. This is to give the worn effect. In the area that you passed the candle will not be painted.
- Pints with white acrylic.
- You can sand lightly once it is dry to give that worn look.
- Place sienna acrylic on the stamp and print it on the can.
- You can give touches of sienna paint on the edges for a better finish.
Using plastic bottles
Plastic bottles are another material that you find easily in your home and, generally, in disuse. Therefore, to avoid accumulating objects, it is best to find a new use.
Remember that plastics are a big environmental problem because they are not biodegradable. Therefore, if you recycle your bottles you will be helping to take care of the environment and you will also have beautiful pots made by yourself.
With your personal touch that is unique and unrepeatable. We will leave you three ideas so that later you release your creativity when making them.
- Cutter or scissors.
- Black marker
- Acrylic paintings.
- Plastic bottles of different sizes.
Flower pot with the bottom of the bottle
- You will take the bottles and you will draw on the top two elongated triangles like bunny ears stopped.
- Cut the plastic so that you have two ears protruding from the edge.
- You make the holes in the base of the bottle.
- Pints with white acrylic inside and out.
- Let it dry
- You make your eyes, nose and mouth with a marker.
- Add details with pink acrylic.
- You can also give it the shape of a cat, a dog, a mouse. What your imagination tells you.
- The bottom of the bottles are like little legs to which you can also add details.
- You are going to leave the covers on these bottles and there make some holes for the water to drain.
- Paint in strong colors and let dry.
- Add details with paint or markers.
- In the containers that have handle you can use this as a nose.
- Paint two large eyes on each side.
- It covers the whole bottle with drawings.
- You can nail it to a wall and thus form your vertical garden.
Using the whole bottle
- You take the bottle with the lid on and lie down.
- With a cutter you make a cavity in the part that is upwards to put the soil and the plants.
- You make perforations in the part that remains in the floor.
- And ready! You can hang it or leave it resting on the floor.
Being able to make your own pots from recycled materials will bring you multiple benefits , among them we can mention: