How delicious is the marzipan ! the pity is that if it is not difficult Christmas is to find in supermarkets. Because of this and because there is nothing better than what we make ourselves, today we want to show you how to make a delicious marzipan dough. It is much easier to prepare than you imagine
Marzipan is a sweet that is made from almonds and sugar. Its origin is unknown, although they would probably be introduced by the Arabs in Spain. If there is a place famous for its marzipan, that is undoubtedly Toledo. Since the first written references on the elaboration of marzipan (1577), they have not stopped improving and doing real wonders with this delicious dough.
Recipe of traditional marzipan dough
- 200 g of ground almonds
- 200-300 g of icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Coffee grinder or crusher
- 1 bowl
- 1 kitchen brush
- Grind the
- Separate the white from the
- Mix the icing sugar with the almonds, the lemon zest and the egg white, until making a compact mass.
- Make a roll with the dough and cover it with plastic wrap.
- Let it sit in the refrigerator 24 hours and no more. This way no sugar granite will remain, because with moisture it will dissolve completely.
- Cut into ball -sized portions the size of a
- Make with each ball the figurines you want.
- When you have them done, paint them with the egg yolk and place them in the oven preheated to 180 ºC , until you see them golden. With a few minutes you have enough.
Recipe of the sugar-free marzipan dough
Marzipan is a very healthy sweet but with many calories and … too much sugar. If you want a healthier recipe with fewer calories, take note!
- 250 g of ground almonds
- 125 g of sweet potato
- 6 tablespoons of sweetener 0% calories
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Grated lemon half
- 1 bowl
- kitchen brush
- Cook the sweet potato with the skin in abundant water. When it is cold, peel it.
- Crush the sweet potato and add the sweetener. Go testing to make it taste sweet.
- Add the almond bit by bit and mix until you get a compact dough.
- Add the grated lemon zest and the cinnamon powder.
- Add the egg yolks and knead.
- Make the figurines.
- Brush with the egg yolk.
- Put in the preheated oven at 180 ºC, up and down at half height for 10 minutes.
Data of interest:
- There are 3 kinds of marzipan: the base or raw marzipan , in which the almond and the sugar go in equal proportions; the rough marzipan , carries more almond than sugar; the fine marzipan used for stuffed marzipan; the cooked marzipan, in which no egg is used, but a syrup made with sugar and water and in which it is not necessary to bake in the oven. It is used to make saint’s bones or to wrap cupcakes.
There are many varieties of sweets made with marzipan: the eels, the empiñonadas, the delights, the yolk cakes and the glory cakes.
- The eels are molded in the shape of an eel and filled with candied fruit, yolk, sweet potato and angel hair.
- The empiñonadas. The pasta is covered with pine nuts.
- Delights with candied yolk.
- Yolk cakes filled with candied yolk.
- The glory cakes with candied sweet potato.
Suggestions for your homemade marzipan
- You can put dyes.
- Some people add sweet potatoes or cooked potatoes.
- You have to be very careful with the ground almond that is used. It is very important that it be of quality. The variety most used for its flavor is the Marcona, since it has a delicious and special flavor.
- Make your own icing sugar, since the one sold in supermarkets has additives that do not suit us in this natural recipe.
- If you do not have much skill making figurines with your hands, use clippers .
Nutritional properties of marzipan
Marzipan is one of the healthiest sweets there is, although it also contains many calories. A marzipan figurine can contain between 120 and 180 calories.