The Napoleon cake is a typical Russian sweet. Combine a kind of (not exactly puff pastry) with a cream similar to buttercream. We show you a Napoleon cake with puff pastry already bought and if you want to prepare the dough yourself, we give you a very easy recipe.
Napoleon cake recipe
- 5 glasses of
- 5 eggs
- 5 large spoons of flour
- 300 g of butter to the point of ointment
- 1 glass and a half of sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 6-7 puff pastry sheets made
Ingredients for the dough:
(In case you want to prepare a kind of puff pastry):
- 300 g flour
- 130 g of very cold butter
- 1 egg
- a trickle of water (about 1/4 of a glass)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons
- 1 splash of cognac
- 1 saucepan
- 1 bowl
- hand mixer
In the case that you also do the dough you will need:
- 1 roller
- 1 knife
- A round cutter or a bowl about 20cm in diameter (to cut)
- 1 fork
- Baking paper
- Beat the eggs with the flour .
- Heat the milk with the sugar, stirring occasionally.
- When the milk is hot, add the egg and flour mixture .
- Cook over low heat without boiling for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Beat butter with vanilla sugar with a hand whisk .
- At the moment when the mixture is creamy, add the cream little by little , stirring constantly.
- Mount the cake. Alternate a layer of puff pastry with another layer of cream.
- To decorate crumble one of the puff pastry plates and put it on top.
Preparation of the dough:
If you are one of the people who like everything very natural, make the mass yourself. It is also easy to make, nothing to do with the classic homemade puff pastry recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Add the vinegar to the water. .
- Beat an egg and add to the mixture of water and vinegar.
- Put on a table the flour, the butter cut into pieces and the texture of “crumbs” .
- Add the prepared water to the dough.
- Mix everything very well with your hands until all the ingredients are well integrated.
- Divide the dough into 8-10 balls .
- Put the balls in the fridge 1 hour or so.
- Remove the balls and spread them with a rolling pin .
- Cut them with a diameter of about 29 cm.
- Puncture the surface of each of them with a fork and put them in the oven, on a plate lined with non-stick paper.
- Also enter the edges that have been left over, as they will serve to unmask them and decorate your cake with them.
- Bake for about 10 minutes . You must be white.
Data of interest:
- The eggs have to be at room temperature .
- If you want your cake to have a special flavor, use fresh and whole milk .
- Before you put the eggs in the milk with the flour mixture, beat the eggs with a little hot milk . In this way you will avoid lumps.
- It is very important that the mixture does not boil so that the yolks are not cooked.
- It is better to make the cake a day before , so that the puff pastry is well soaked in cream. Do not put it in the refrigerator until several hours after having prepared it. If you put it right away, the puff will stay dry and the cream lasts.
- This is the original recipe, although you can give it different touches : Boil the milk with a cinnamon stick, add cocoa powder to the cream, cognac or some other liquor, sliced almonds , strawberries, blackberries …
- If you want to make a cake with a very quick cream, beat 1 can of condensed milk (400 g), with 200 grams of butter at room temperature and add a good handful of chopped nuts .