The orange flan is a very sweet dessert, refreshing for summer and mild for winter. An easy and simple recipe to make, that besides being exquisite and perfect, you can taste it all year round.
This recipe for orange flan is suitable for 8 people or portions, and it takes about 70 minutes to make it.
Orange flan recipe
For the candy:
- 5 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 3 tablespoons of water
- A few drops of squeezed lemon
For the flan:
- 3 large whole eggs
- 6 egg yolks
- 200 g of sugar
- 500 ml of whole milk
- 2 oranges
- 200 ml of orange juice
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tablespoon of orange blossom essence
- A saucepan
- A wooden spoon
- Flannels or mold
- A knife
- A pan
- A grater
- A bowl
- A baking tray
- We prepare the candy. In a saucepan over medium heat and without stirring, add the ingredients in this order: 5 tablespoons of white granulated sugar, 3 tablespoons of water and a few drops of lemon.
- When the mixture begins to bubble and the sugar begins to change color, mix with a wooden spoon. Remove after the fire and add a few drops of lemon and mix again until the dough acquires a tan.
- Let temperate for a minute and pour into the flannels or mold. We move them so that the candy also impregnates the interior walls of the flaneras or the mold where we are going to make our orange flan. Let it cool until the caramel is medium hard.
- Prepare the orange flan. We wash the oranges and peel one of them without a white skin. We reserve
- With a knife we open the vanilla pod and take out the seeds. We reserve
- In a pot heat the milk over medium heat until it reaches a boil and add the seeds of the vanilla and the . Let rest at low heat for 5 minutes. We collect everything.
- With a grater, we will grate an orange very finely. We squeeze the juice of the two oranges, and we reserve.
- Separate the egg yolks from the 6 eggs. Put the yolks in a bowl and reserve the for another recipe or use.
- Add another 3 whole eggs. Then add the milk, the sugar, the orange juice, the orange zest and the spoonful of orange blossom essence to the eggs. We beat all the ingredients. We will obtain a creamy and frothy dough.
- Then place a deep tray with half the water and put it in the oven at 200 ºC until it boils.
- Now fill the flaneras or caramelized molds with your creamy egg and orange dough. Cover them with aluminum foil and put them on the tray with water in the oven.
- Let the water bake at 190ºC for 50 to 60 minutes.
- It is recommended that during the last 10 minutes of cooking in a bain-marie, carefully remove the aluminum foil from above so that the orange take on color.
- We remove it carefully from the oven and let it warm to room temperature. Then we put them in the fridge to cool down for about 6 hours or all night.
- At the time of serving, carefully remove the mold, placing a plate or tray on top of the flan or mold, and turning it over like an omelette. Be careful not to spill the caramel, try to make it a deep dish.
- Decorate with orange or chocolate syrup, whipped cream or candied oranges boiled with water and sugar.
The orange flan is the ideal dessert for a copious or heavy meal. As a fresh summer snack it is exceptional. You can serve it with a scoop of ice cream or fruit to make a combination. A sure triumph.