After decades of research, the puzzle of why many children have This is because there is not a single factor.
What is autism?
Autism, also known as ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), is a neurobiological developmental disorder that manifests itself during the first three years of life and lasts throughout the life cycle.
The fundamental symptoms that are associated with autism are two:
- Persistent deficiencies in communication and social interaction.
- Restrictive and repetitive patterns of behavior, interests or activities.
en los niños son: The indications that may be indicative of ASD in children are:
- In kindergarten and school, lack of communication with other
- They do not share interests (they do not usually point their finger at what catches their attention to share it with others).
- Absence of symbolic play (feeding dolls, playing kitchens, cars as if they were real, etc.).
- Little eye contact is established and they do not observe the expression of the interlocutor’s face when together they are seeing something unusual. They do not usually manifest the social smile.
- Their language, if it exists, is literal (they do not understand jokes, jokes, double meanings or metaphors).
Commonly, many scientists agree that the genetic combination influences having this condition.
What is the relationship between autism and mercury?
It is also considered that during pregnancy or at an early age, many metals such as mercury affect autism.
Mercury is a chemical element with the symbol Hg and atomic number 80. In ancient literature it was commonly referred to as liquid silver and also as quicksilver or hydrargiro. Of silver aspect, heavy metal belonging to block D of the periodic table, mercury is the only metallic element that is liquid under standard laboratory conditions.
In a study at the University of Bristol, data on more than four thousand pregnancies were analyzed, and a relationship between the level of mercury in the mother’s blood and the appearance of ASD in children under 11 years of age has been observed.
So Professor , epidemiologist and founder of the Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children (ALSPAC), says he found a correlation between the onset of autism in children and the intake of fish in pregnant women.
This study , used by researchers in health, education and other social science disciplines, was conducted in newborn children in the former county of Avon, England, during 1991 and 1992. Currently, it is run by George Davey Smith.
The population studied was 15,247 pregnant women with estimated dates of delivery between April 1991 and December 1992. Since then, the parents, siblings and children of the participants have also begun to be studied.
The epistemological study indicates that 4,484 women have high levels of mercury in their blood. These have recognized that their main food during pregnancy was fish. Of the total, 177 had an autistic child, and of the newborns, only 45 had mercury in their blood.
Epistemology is a scientific discipline in the area of biology and medicine that studies the distribution, frequency, determinants, predictions and control of factors related to health and existing diseases in defined human populations.
It is remarkable the fact that the rest of these children belonged to lower social classes. So their mothers did not ingest much fish during pregnancy and, subsequently, they were exposed to a lesser extent to this risk factor.
Therefore, the study concludes that a high consumption of fish during the first half of pregnancy increases the chances that the future child will suffer .