Joint pain and cramps are common ailments in athletes and elderly people or who make great daily muscle effort. At any time you can feel pain in the knees, elbows or wrists. You can also experience muscle spasms. Luckily, there is a natural remedy to alleviate these symptoms: lemon.
If you are in the group at risk of suffering from joint pain and cramps, pay attention to the properties and benefits of lemon to combat these annoying symptoms. However, in the first place, you must learn to identify them so as not to confuse them with others, such as numbness.
What is a cramp and what produces it?
Cramping is a sudden involuntary muscle contraction accompanied by pain. This can be mild or intense to the point of paralyzing the sufferer for a few minutes.
In athletes, they usually occur at the end of a high intensity exercise or muscular stress. Other people can experience them during the night. They occur more frequently in the legs but can also be felt in the feet, hands, arms and abdomen.
Cramps are caused by muscle tension, low levels of electrolytes, lack of blood circulation in the muscles and understanding of the nerves .
What is joint pain and what causes it?
Joint pain occurs in any joint and is a symptom of injuries or different joint conditions such as:
They are usually treated with analgesic and anti-inflammatory medications. However, natural alternatives such as lemon are excellent options for pain relief.
What are the benefits of lemon against joint pain and cramps?
The lemon is rich in flavonoids, vitamins A, C and E, and also contains citric acid. Vitamin C is antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and helps maintain the body’s collagen. For its part, citric acid has diuretic and depurative properties.
Among its benefits are:
- Strengthen the immune system
- Relieve sore throat
- Prevent kidney stones
- Improve blood circulation
- Stimulate the metabolism
Likewise, it also has a positive effect when it comes to relieving joint pain and cramping. This is due to the large amount of potassium it contains. In this case, the lemon peel is ideal for the treatment .
The next time you decide to make yourself a lemonade or lemon juice, do not throw away the peel because you would lose its multiple benefits. The citronella essential oil is extracted from the lemon peel, in an excellent mosquito repellent. It also contains vitamin C and pectin. The latter has depurative properties and contributes to the elimination of cholesterol harmful to the organism.
In addition to this, the lemon peel has anti-inflammatory and relaxing properties. These make it a wonderful ingredient to relieve joint pains. Take note!
Remedy with lemon peel to relieve joint pain and cramps
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (250 ml)
- 2 large lemons, preferably organic
- 4 eucalyptus leaves
As implements for the preparation and application of the remedy you need to have at hand a glass jar with lid, kitchen plastic and a bandage. From the latter you will need the amount that the area you want to treat needs.
- Peel the two lemons and place the peels inside the glass container. Add the olive oil and make sure it completely covers the lemon peels.
- Take the eucalyptus leaves, cut them into pieces and add them to the mixture. Cover the container well and let the preparation rest for 2 weeks in a dry and dark place .
- After the indicated time, proceed to apply the preparation in a gauze. To do this you must soak it in the oil and leave it as a compress on the affected area. So that it does not move, take a piece of plastic and cover the gauze, then tie both with a cloth so that it stays fixed throughout the night while .
- Repeat the treatment every day to see better results . If not, the minimum recommended application is 3 times a week. Do it until the pain disappears completely.
Remember to be disciplined with the treatment to see effects in less time. The key is to be constant, so give priority to your health and take a few minutes each night to apply the remedy. Similarly, consult your specialist if this may be an alternative therapy for your condition.