Skin cancer has become one of the great threats of the modern world, because pollution, exposure to ultraviolet rays and even food are risk factors that can lead to the growth of cancer cells in the skin. The most common type of , which receives this name because this group of cancerous tumors includes all types of skin cancer, except malignant melanoma, which is that produced by melanocytes. .
Causes of skin cancer
- One of the main causes of skin cancer is the frequent exposure to ultraviolet radiation, whose main source is sunlight. Those people who are exposed for a long time to intense sunlight, have a higher risk of developing skin cancer. The level of risk depends on the intensity of the light, the exposure time, and whether the skin has been protected.
- The use of lamps or tanning booths is another risk factor that can develop skin cancer. These cabins are also a source of ultraviolet radiation, so it is proven that they can cause non-melanoma cancer.
- Contact or exposure to chemicals such as arsenic, industrial pitch, hard coal, paraffin and certain types of oils.
- The radiations of radiotherapy.
- Severe skin lesions or inflammations , such as severe burns, skin covering the area where a serious bone infection occurred and / or skin damaged by .
- Genetic factors.
Skin cancer warning signs
Any alteration in the skin, such as sores, lumps, imperfections, marks, spots or any unusual change , is a warning signal that could indicate non-melanoma skin cancer or, in its worst case, melanoma.
Non-melanoma skin cancer can give signs with different . The most important warning signs are the appearance of some type of mass, a spot or protuberance that is constantly growing, in a time that can last for months or up to 2 years. We can also be alerted to an ulcer that does not heal within three months.
Basal cell carcinoma is a slow-growing type of cancer that can be detected by noticing red, scaly, and flat areas . It may also appear with small waxy areas, shiny and translucent to the relief, which may bleed with a minor injury. It can also show areas of blue, brown or black, as well as presenting some type of irregular blood vessels visible.
It can be detected with the appearance of growing bumps, usually with a rough surface, or planes like reddish patches of skin that grow slowly . They often appear in areas such as the face, ears, neck, lips and the back of the hands.
Kaposi’s sarcoma originates in the dermis , but it can also start in the internal organs. It usually appears with an area similar to a purple, but it becomes a tumor.
Signs and symptoms of melanoma
The most important signal for melanoma is the appearance of a new mole on the skin or that an existing one changes shape or color. Another important sign is some kind of mole that looks different from other . If any of these is your case, it is best to consult the doctor immediately.
Another common way to detect melanoma is by taking into account the ABCDE rule:
- A Asymmetry: half of the mole or birthmark does not match the other half.
- B of Border: edges ill-defined, unequal, abnormal.
- C Color: the color is not uniform and may include shades of brown or black. You can also notice reddish, blue, white or pink spots.
- D of Diameter: the
- E of Evolution: the mole is changing shape, size or color.