Lactose is a disaccharide composed of monosaccharides and galactose. carbohidrato que se encuentra en la leche de los mamíferos It is a carbohydrate found in the milk of mammals
What is lactose? It is the sugar that predominates in milk. When a person is lactose intolerant it means that their intestine does not have the capacity to digest and transform the substances it contains, that is, glucose and galactose. This is because there is a shortage of lactase, which is produced in the small intestine.
Types of intolerance
Primary: lactase activity decreases physiologically during puberty or adolescence.
It is important to take into account the unusual signs that occur after ingesting milk, such as:
Although lactose intolerance is a problem that affects a large percentage worldwide, it is not considered a serious condition . There are people who have to eliminate dairy from their diet, but others simply have to reduce consumption.
What are low-lactose dairy products?
Thanks to the fact that the probiotic yogurt goes through a fermentation process, the amount of lactose is much lower than other Among its components stand out the lacto-bacillus and electrococus, which make it a probiotic food.
A yogurt contains approximately 25% less lactose , making it easier to digest for the intolerant. In addition, acid bacteria help break down the enzyme. Meanwhile, it provides the necessary vitamins, minerals and fats.
Pasteurized milk is not included in this cheese, as the fermentation process is responsible for breaking down lactose into other elements. However, during the cutting of the curd, the lactose is further reduced. Here is a list of the cheeses you can consume:
- Cured cheeses : the cheeses that go through this process lose lactose. However, people who tolerate casein can consume them without problem. For example: Parmesan or gruyer.
- Semi-mature cheeses: they contain lactose, but in low quantities. If they are consumed in small amounts they can be tolerated. For example: manchego and camembert.
- Fresh cheeses : these cheeses contain about 3% lactose. For example: cottage cheese and mozzarella.
It should be noted that it is not any butter, that is, to be low in lactose it has to be derived from milk fat. This type of emulsion contains about 0.01 grams of lactose per tablespoon.
This is because, during the butter preparation process, the aqueous components of the fat are separated. For its part, lactose is a water-soluble molecule, which causes it to be easily eliminated. So it does not present any problem for someone intolerant, unless you consume it in exaggerated quantities.
The cream of milk is composed of globules of fat, which are on the edge of raw milk. Hence, 40% of its composition is fat and has very little lactose. But it is also low in sugars. Meanwhile, it goes through a centrifugation process where a certain part of the lactose disappears.
- Do not stop consuming dairy, if so, you have to replace the lack of vitamin D and calcium to not have risk of osteoporosis.
- Increase fiber intake to promote digestion.
- Check the labels of the products and choose those that do not contain lactose.
- Pay attention to medications , as there are some that contain lactose to give them consistency.
- Include in your diet: legumes, nuts and soybeans because they are rich in calcium.
- Lactose is more tolerated when consumed in the company of other foods.
- Avoid dairy desserts . Better make them yourself and replace milk with rice milk or oatmeal.
- You can consume oatmeal, rice, almond or
In summary, remember that if you present any allergic reaction after drinking milk you should go to a specialist, because it is the only way to know the degree of intolerance.
Do not self-medicate!