Fluid retention or edema is a very common problem caused by an unbalanced diet, a sedentary lifestyle and not drinking enough water every day.
In many cases people believe that they accumulate fat but, in reality, the body does not clean liquids accordingly .
In this article we tell you what foods you should avoid if you suffer from this disorder.
When is fluid retention?
As a first step, you should know that it is an accumulation of water in the tissues of the body when there is an imbalance between the forces that regulate how liquids travel through different areas of the body.
If we can not eliminate the water, it accumulates in certain areas. The main factors that increase the problem are:
If you suffer from fluid retention, you will be able to detect it easily, since you will gain weight and feel the swelling in various parts of the body (especially the legs and ankles).
To avoid or reduce this water imbalance in our body, we must take a low-salt diet and increase the intake of beverages and diuretic foods (water, juices, vegetables, fruits, etc.).
It is also recommended to exercise at least 2 times a week.
See also: Risks of sedentariness
What foods to avoid if I have fluid retention
When we have this problem it is not enough to stop using sodium or exercise. It is necessary to avoid the intake of certain foods that have the ability to increase the amount of fluids in the body.
Here are some of them:
- Although when we consume them we go to the bathroom, the truth is that a good part of the components we eat accumulates in the body (including sugar).
- Alcohol causes fluid retention in the stomach and legs.
- A glass of wine a day is not a problem but you can drink cocktails, beer or drinks with high alcohol content several times a week.
In the same “group” we can place the too salty cheeses that accompany the sausages in a typical “pica pica”, as well as the sausages, the cured ham and the bacon.
Package fries (among other similar products) have too much salt that is used to enhance the flavor.
- They are also addictive foods that do not allow us to take care of ourselves or just eat a portion … we finished the whole bag!
- If at dusk you die for snacks then we recommend that you choose sunflower seeds, nuts such as walnuts or vegetable purees (chickpeas, aubergines, etc.).
Many of the products we consume today have large doses of sugar or sweeteners.
It is advisable in these cases to reduce their consumption or to look for more natural alternatives such as, for example, stevia, honey or cinnamon to flavor.
People who eat a diet consisting of pasta, pizza, cookies or breads are more likely to suffer from fluid retention and weight gain.
Refined flour provides carbohydrates that accumulate in the body and do not allow the kidneys to work properly.
These compounds, in turn, increase the amount of water by slowing down kidney function . Instead of eating white flour, we recommend that you choose whole or reduce your consumption.
You will see the results in a short time.
The breaded, frozen meals and all those foods already prepared have too much added salt in the process of elaboration.
- The food industry uses lot to keep its products fresh or in good condition.
- We do not realize what we eat and, although we do not eat them, we are encouraging the retention of liquids with these foods.
Try to eat more homemade dishes, cook a little more (even a few times a week) and avoid manufactured foods.
This can be a difficult task because they have many ingredients that become “necessary” to combat anxiety or appetite but, little by little, you can feed yourself better.
In turn, it is necessary that you do not leave the food too much, neither at the time of preparing it nor consuming it.
- A good technique lies in not bringing the saltcellar to the table. By not being in the face of temptation, it will be easier to avoid it.
- Another option is to season your dishes with natural herbs, lemon juice or olive oil. It will be healthier and richer, and you will have less risk of suffering fluid retention or diseases.
What to consume if I suffer from fluid retention?
In addition to reducing or avoiding the intake of those foods that may increase the swelling or accumulation of sodium, we recommend you consider the following to prevent the problem:
- Water (between 2 and 3 liters a day)
- Natural sweeteners (stevia, agave)
- Fruits (
- Herbal infusions (chamomile, green tea, mint)