The coccyx or tailbone is located in the final part of the spine, in the lower back and followed by the sacrum, with which it articulates. Although the coccyx no longer has an important function in the human body, it offers insertions for muscles and ligaments and acts as a shock absorber when a person sits down; On many occasions before a sitting fall, the coccyx can be easily injured, and requires a period of recovery and very little treatment.
Women are more likely to suffer lower back injuries because their pelvises are wider than those of men, and this makes the coccyx more exposed to possible injuries; As a rule, they are caused by direct falls, and can lead to dislocations or fractures, producing symptoms such as pain when walking and sitting and discomfort when defecating.
TREATMENTS DUE TO A TRAUMATISM OF COXIS
– When a coccyx has suffered a traumatism it can cause serious discomfort, but it is cured with very little treatment, with time being the most important factor of healing , and it can take several weeks, depending on the severity of the injury.
– It is important to avoid direct pressure on the coccyx for long periods of time , so it is recommended that you use a donut-shaped cushion, which will act as a buffer, and help in the healing process.
– When you are sitting, lean your body forward , so that the weight of your body falls on the legs and not on the coccyx.
– Apply ice to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes , three or four times a day, especially during the first days after the injury.
– Eat foods rich in fiber, and drink plenty of fluids to prevent constipation.
HOW TO KNOW IF I HAVE BROKE THE COXIS
If there is trauma to the coccyx, it is easy for it to be broken and the following symptoms may be noted:
– Sensitivity and severe and immediate pain in the coccyx area, even if you are sitting on a pillow for a long time.
– Bruising and feeling a knot or swollen lump, which is the protruding bone.
– In some cases it will be necessary to visit the doctor to check if it is broken, through a rectal examination or X-rays.
COXIS FRACTURE TREATMENT
Fractures in the coccyx are very painful and can take a long time to heal; therefore the most important treatment is rest , to allow the body to recover, since it may take several weeks to do so.
If after that time the pain is not reduced, it will be necessary to go to the doctor, who will prescribe medicines to relieve the pain ; in extreme cases, it will be necessary to eliminate the coccyx by surgery, although it does not guarantee the elimination of pain.
The application of the above measures for traumas in the coccyx, are equally valid in case of breakage.