Many people suffer from oily hair, either due to hormonal factors, the type of hair or other internal and external factors that cause it. However, there are different natural treatments to treat oily hair, as well as other alternatives that can be performed if the former do not work. In this way, not only the problem is avoided, but the hair will be and will have a healthier appearance and will prevent a future appearance of the problem.
It is necessary to try to address the causes to treat oily hair, if they can be avoided, before taking action. These are diverse, among which is to get dirty with the accumulation of dead skin cells transferred to the scalp and other particles such as soot and dust . In this way, despite washing to avoid dirt, many people still have oily hair.
This is because the glands of the scalp produce excessive sebum, causing hair to always be pasty or oily. The specialists in trichology at the University of Barcelona suggest that having hair in this way is not due to organic dysfunction, because the real cause is due to the influence of hormones on the fat secretions of the body.
In this way, these secretions increase when hormonal changes occur as in adolescence and pregnancy. However, the causes of having a greasy hair can be summarized in the following points:
- Having straight hair or that is very thin: the hair that is too thin does not get to use the two or three sebaceous glands that moisturize and irrigate each hair. In this way, the fat is passed to the surface, depositing its excess there.
- The consumption of junk or fried food, dairy products and red meats: this can cause the sebaceous glands to produce more fat that will last throughout the hair, causing it to obtain, especially in the morning, an oily appearance.
- Hormonal causes: there are medications and pills that can produce the secretion of the sebaceous glands. For example, pills to regulate the menstrual period or contraceptive temples.
- Improper hair washing : Inadequate washing occurs when you use a lot of shampoo, soap and other strong treatments that can irritate the skin. For this reason, the pH of it is changed, so it stimulates the sebaceous glands to have more secretion and thus produce more fat.
- Adolescence and puberty: in these stages the sebaceous glands increase their production producing fatty hair or acne.
- Inheritance: oily hair may be due to genetic factors.
- Pregnancy : Pregnancy produces hormonal changes that can make hair greasy.
In the first place, if the reason why the person has oily hair is due to external causes, such as the consumption of fried food or any other food that stimulates the sebaceous glands, it should be reduced to ingest these foods.
However, if the causes are different, the following treatments are recommended to treat oily hair, always taking into account that the person applying the treatment must be careful not to apply any ingredient to which they may be allergic:
- Treatment of dried leaves of horsetail: To prepare this treatment, two dry leaves should be placed horsetail in a cup of boiling water, leaving them to rest for 15 minutes. Then, they must be strained and stored in a container to apply the formula after the shampoo when the hair is still wet.
- Mint tea treatment: With a cup of boiling water, an infusion should be prepared with one or two bags of mint tea. After letting it cool, add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Then, it should be applied to the hair by gently massaging the scalp.
- Clay treatment : This treatment is more effective if applied once a week. To prepare the mixture, lukewarm water should be slowly added to 100 grams of kaolinite white clay, which can be obtained in shops selling artisan products, until a creamy or pasty consistency is obtained. Its application in the form of a firm massage should be done immediately after the preparation of the mixture because it can not be stored. After letting it act for 10 minutes, it should be rinsed with plenty of warm water until any trace of the clay is removed.
- Lemon treatment: You should mix the juice of a lemon with a cup of warm water. Then, it should be applied to the scalp with a gentle massage.
- Treatment of aloe vera : Aloe vera has the property of establishing a correct secretion of sebaceous glands, so this treatment is very efficient. In this way, it must be applied 4 times each week. The mixture is made by liquefying two or three leaves of aloe vera once the pulp is separated. Then, it should be applied in all the hair leaving the aloe to rest for thirty minutes.
- Treatment with vinegar: For this treatment, you need two cups of water, to which you have to add a quarter cup of apple cider vinegar. Then you have to massage the scalp gently after applying the mixture.
- Alcoholic beverage treatment: Add a spoonful of any alcoholic beverage that has high alcohol content, although it is recommended to use cognac or whiskey, to two cups of warm water. After mixing, it is added to the hair. Afterwards, it should be rinsed with plenty of water.
- Treatment with mouthwash: Mouthwash is not only used to reduce bacteria in the mouth, but also helps to combat the scalp. The treatment is obtained by diluting one part of the mouthwash in 9 parts of warm water. Then, you should apply on the entire scalp with a cotton filled with the mixture.
As all the hairs are different, it is convenient to apply to each one the care you need. If the treatments to combat or avoid oily hair do not work, we present other alternatives to avoid it:
- If you have oily hair, it is advisable to wash it more often with soft products, without doing this activity every day. The shampoos should be translucent, avoiding those that can be very creamy. Conditioner should not be used, since oily hair does not need it like dry hair. However, if conditioner is used, only the ends should be rinsed with a gentle massage, avoiding that it reaches the skull so that excess fat is not produced.
Now, if the hair is dry and you have oily hair, you can let the conditioner act for a few minutes so that the nutrients penetrate the scalp. Likewise, the hair must be thoroughly rinsed to remove the remains of the product completely.
- It is better to wash your hair in the morning because at night the sebaceous glands are more active. In addition, it is convenient to only use warm water because the hot stimulates the appearance of fat in the hair.
On the other hand, if the person goes to the gym and needs to wash their hair every day, so that they do not obtain as a result the oily hair it is necessary to use a dry shampoo to avoid appearance.
- Oily hair can be avoided depending on how you care for it . In this way, it is best to let it dry after bathing naturally and avoid using the hot air dryer. Likewise, you do not have to touch your hair a lot, because every time your hands touch it, grease is deposited on it. You do not have to comb your hair too much so you do not get oily hair. Along with this, you should try not to comb it with bows and braids.
The use of products that can lubricate the hair has to be regulated for use in moderation. In addition, it is advisable not to use the brush, since in this way the fat is spread in its entirety. For this reason, it is preferable to comb a few times with a comb.
- To treat oily hair, you must have a healthy diet, avoiding high-fat meals, as well as ingesting plenty of water. Also, it is advisable to exercise. Along with this, stress can cause this problem causing the scalp to become sensitive and get irritated. For this reason, it is advisable to treat this factor.
In conclusion, oily hair is a problem that can be prevented and easily combatted by treating external causes and even internal ones. Then, you can mix treatments and other hair care to avoid the problem, without the need to resort to medications or other treatments that are not natural. The hair will always have sebaceous glands, it is only a question of knowing your own (because each one is handled differently depending on the type and condition) to have healthy hair and avoid future problems.