Thanks to the articulation of the knee we can climb stairs, walk, run … there may not be a more basic movement than this part of the body , so it is common to suffer from time to time some pain, some discomfort. Inflammation, wear … the causes can be several. We explain them to you and we offer you simple tips.
Having pain in either knee can happen at any age. A contusion, a problem in a ligament or an arthritis principle can be the most common causes. What we do know without a doubt is that pain can become paralyzing and affect our quality of life . Preventing their appearance through active life and proper nutrition is essential. But once the pain appears, we can attenuate its incidence by means of some simple advice. Let’s see it
Why knee pain?
We must bear in mind that the knee is the largest joint in the body. With it we perform almost all movements of the day, and to have that flexibility, we have complex structures that should always be in good condition: bones, cartilage, ligaments, muscles and tendons . Let’s analyze what pain can be caused in this part of the body.
Does the pain appear after a bad movement?
- Sometimes we can give a wrong turn in the knee, a blow or a movement in which, suddenly, we feel a strong pull, like a whiplash. If you have taken an unexpected turn, you may have a meniscus injury . The pain in the knee appears diffusely, and it is after 24 hours when it appears in all its intensity.
- We can also suffer some ligament injury. If you feel pain and can not put your leg on the floor, you may have an injury to one of the two ligaments that are inside the knee joint, and they take a long time to heal.
- Tendinitis and knee bursitis is also common in this type of injury, after a bad movement or a blow. It is produced by an inflammation of the bursa, which is a small sac filled with fluid that acts as a cushion between a bone. and muscles or tendons.
Does knee pain appear without you knowing how?
- Arthrosis: it is due to a wear of the articular cartilage, the bones rub against each other and the pain appears in the simplest tasks, such as climbing stairs. The pain in the affected knee is very intense at night. Unfortunately there is no cure for osteoarthritis, the only thing we can do is alleviate its incidence by drugs or natural remedies
- Rheumatoid arthritis: it is a disease that affects the joints. It causes us tiredness, discomfort, pain and even fever. It could appear suddenly and then disappear, and the positive of this reality is that it can be treated over time. The medication, and even the replacement of the knee cartilage itself, can restore its functioning. But it will always be our doctor who gives us the best solution according to our case.
Remedies to alleviate knee pain
Olive oil is a good resource to relieve pain. It has anti-inflammatory properties and also manages to stimulate circulation. We can apply a gentle massage twice a day with two tablespoons of olive oil, then apply some gauze around the knee.
Bag of ice
It is an effective way to reduce inflammation and relieve pain . Just take a bag of ice cubes and apply 20 minutes on the knee (never again or we will hurt the skin).
Remedy with wheat flour and turmeric
We can make an anti-inflammatory paste based on milk, wheat flour, castor oil and turmeric powder. You can take half a glass of hot water, put three tablespoons of wheat flour, a spoonful of oil and a pinch of turmeric. Try to make the mixture firm and pasty so that it can be applied to the knee when it is warm. This remedy will offer you great relief.
There are foods that will allow us to reduce the inflammation of our knee. If you follow a varied diet where you include these supplements, you will find much help. It is necessary that your nutrition has a good contribution of Omega 3 (present in salmon, herring, sardines …), chia seeds, flaxseed, broccoli, blueberries, Goji berries, turmeric, pineapple, green tea …
Other recommendations for the health of your knees
- Avoid getting too much weight, our knees suffer in case of obesity.
- Swimming is a type of sport very suitable to give resistance to our knees.
- If you suffer from osteoarthritis of the knee, avoid doing very heavy exercises, such as going for a jog or going for a long time on a bicycle. In acute phases of pain, it is better to maintain rest.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs often have many side effects, in case you should resort to drugs, a paracetamol will always be better.